Connect with us


How 9-DSS Operatives Were Attacked and Killed at Arepo by Vandals



Suspected pipeline vandals yesterday engaged operatives of the Department of State Security (DSS) in a bloody shootout at Arepo, Ogun State. At the end of the shooting which lasted several hours, eight DSS operatives were feared killed, with others severely injured.

Though neither authorities of the Western Naval Command nor the DSS spoke on the issue when their comments were sought by our correspondent, an officer at the Ogun State Police Command told our correspondent that eight DSS operatives were missing after fighting last night.

“One of the nine operatives earlier reported killed escaped and he was the one who confirmed the killing of the rest,” he said.

Daily Trust reliably learnt that the vandals went away with the bodies of the operatives. At press time yesterday, a patrol vehicle belonging to the DSS was still parked by the side of the mangrove swamp.

Yesterday’s incident started at about 2:00am when two teams of DSS operatives, at the instance of officials of the NNPC, stormed the Konu area of Arepo to stop the illegal activities of the suspected vandals.

A witness, Simon Olu, told Daily Trust that Konu is a major outlet at Arepo used by vandals. He said the vandals had stormed Arepo and were siphoning petroleum products into several tankers.

According to another source, a villager hinted NNPC officials who in turn informed the DSS. He added that the vandals got wind of the coming of the DSS and laid ambush for them.

“The DSS operatives were caught unawares as they ran into the ambush of the vandals who opened fire on them, killing a good number,” he said.

Daily Trust learnt that soldiers have been deployed to the area, with personnel of the Nigerian Navy deployed from the NNS BEECROFT leading the operation from the waterways.

Meanwhile, Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Fatai Owoseni, yesterday told Daily Trust that the three policemen kidnapped by suspected pipeline vandals at Isawo in Ikorodu area of Lagos a fortnight ago were still missing. He said police authorities were still searching for the abducted policemen after the shootout on August 31.

Culled from Daily Trust