Connect with us

Nigeria

FG evacuates 230 stranded Nigerians who were in Russia for the World Cup

Valentine Chinyem

Published

on

Nigerians who were stranded in Moscow, Russia at the end of the 2018 FIFA World Cup, are due to be evacuated back, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs has said.

This was made known by the Ministry’s Spokesperson, Dr Tope Elias-Fatile, in a statement on Thursday in Abuja.

He said over 230 stranded Nigerians, who were said to have had issues with their tickets while dealing with dubious travel agents, who cancelled their tickets without their knowledge, have been cleared to board an Ethiopian Airline flight to Abuja on Friday.

He said this became necessary, after President Muhammadu Buhari directed the ministry to foresee that the stranded Nigerians in Russia are evacuated home with immediate effect.

”As at the last count, over 230 stranded Nigerians had been cleared to board an Ethiopian Airline flight to Abuja.

”The aircraft would depart Domodedovo Airport in Moscow with the stranded Nigerians at 08.30 hours Friday, July, 20th and arrive Abuja at 16.00 hours same day,” he said.

He added that the over 150 stranded Nigerians were part of the fans who travelled to Russia to watch the 2018 FIFA World Cup, and besieged the Nigerian Embassy in Moscow on July 12th.

“Consequently, the Mission submitted a formal complaint to host authorities against the airlines that brought the stranded Nigerians to the Russian Federation.

“The Mission also made arrangements for the feeding and accommodation of the stranded Nigerians in hostels around Moscow,” he said.

However, the President upon receiving the report on July 16, directed the Ministers of Foreign Affairs and Aviation to evacuate the Nigerians back immediately.

Mr. Fatile however, added that the Ministry would continue to monitor the evacuation process and keep the public informed.