Connect with us


Court jails six air force personnel for failure to protect their late boss Alex Badeh during attack



A general court martial in Abuja has jailed six personnel of the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) who were attached as security to Alex Badeh, former chief of defence staff (CDS)m

This was disclosed in a statement issued on Saturday by Ibikunle Daramola, NAF director of public relations and information.

He said said the six officers, who were supposed to provide armed security for Badeh, were jailed on Friday for absconding while their principal was being attacked. They were also indictrf for lying and selling of amnunition.

However, the spokesman did not indicate the jail terms of the convicts.

The personnel involved are Tom Gwani, Amu David, Philemon Degema, Sabo Simon, Mukhtar Abdullahi and Alfred Alexander.

“Six NAF personnel, who were aides to the former CDS were awarded various sentences by the GCM sitting at the NAF Base, Bill Clinton Drive, Abuja,” he said.

“The personnel were standing trial for various offences. Delivering his judgment, the President of the GCM, Air Commodore David Aluku, pronounced the six accused personnel guilty of various charges.

“These included their failure to perform military duties, by absconding from the convoy of the deceased former CDS, while it came under attack, as well as conduct to the prejudice of service discipline, for giving false statements.

“The charges against the accused also included other civil offences of criminal conspiracy and miscellaneous offences relating to property, for illegally disposing of 79 rounds of 5.56mm live ammunition issued for the protection of the late CDS, among others.

“While pleading in mitigation, the Defence Counsels urged the court to show leniency, describing the accused persons as first time offenders. The sentences were announced as being subject to confirmation by the Appropriate Superior Authority.”

Alex Badeh was chief of defence staff between January 2014 and July 2015.

He died as a resulf of gunshot wounds he sustained in an attack on December 18. He was returning from his farm along Abuja-Keffi road when he was shot dead in an ambush.