In view of the hue and cry generated by recent appointments which many described as lopsided, President Muhammadu Buhari has pleaded for calm from Nigerians as he assured he will not marginalize any section of the country in subsequent appointments.
In a statement issued by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, on Saturday, the President said the appointments made so far were a “tip of an iceberg”, as more were coming.
The spokesman explained that the appointments made so far were those of security establishments and personal aides of the President, which is not even up to five per cent of those to be made in the long run.
“Our brothers and sisters and fellow countrymen should bear with the new administration as it takes its measured steps towards an effective take off,” he said.
The statement reads further,
“These appointments are just beginning. The ones down so far, apart from the security services, are mostly of people acting as unofficial advisers or staff of the President. They are mostly men and women who have been doing things for the president and the positions are being formalized.
“Statistically, the appointments don’t amount to five percent of what is to come.
“There will come ministers, heads of government departments, federal boards and ambassadors.
“At the end of the exercise, no part of the country will be left feeling left out,” Shehu assured.